Dandruff makes your scalp itchy, and the flaking can be embarrassing. You will notice some white flakes either on the scalp or hair strands, and when it becomes too much, it goes to your clothes. Again, this can be distressing, but worst of all is the itchiness that occurs, mainly when it’s cold or hot. The urge to scratch is intense, and you just can’t resist. One of the best treatments you can use is aloe vera for dandruff. It is a natural remedy that works for most people and gives instant relief.
People living with chronic dandruff know how frustrating it is. While this condition is not life-threatening, the discomfort and inflammation caused by persistent scratching are too much. What you need is aloe vera to relieve the condition before it affects the quality of your life.
Benefits of using aloe vera for dandruff
- Aloe vera is friendly to the scalp because both of them have similar pH. This makes it safe to use as a scalp treatment compared to other products that may interfere with your scalp’s pH.
- Aloe vera is full of active ingredients such as amino acids and several minerals, including zinc and copper. All these are clinically proving to enable healthy hair growth.
- Aloe gel soothes and inflamed skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties that will heal itchy skin and prevent further aggravation caused by scratching.
- The gel contains water, which conditions the hair while treating the scalp. It locks in moisture and nutrients into your scalp, and this helps to eliminate dandruff. Sometimes dandruff is caused by a fungus infection, but aloe gel is an antifungal and will therefore cure the problem.
- The presence of proteolytic in aloe vera gel helps treat and repair cells in the scalp. This promotes the health of the hair follicles while boosting hair growth. The enzymes also stimulate dormant hair follicles, which help your hair to grow back.
- The vitamins, proteins, and minerals in the aloe gel nurture hair follicles. This controls hair fall and shedding, which translates to healthy hair.
- Dandruff, debris, and oil can build up and block skin pores and hinder hair growth. The aloe gel reduces the accumulation of oil and dandruff because it’s a natural cleanser.
- Aloe vera ensures your hair is not dehydrated. It forms a layer on hair strands and protects them from damaging effects such as the sun, air pollution, and other harmful elements in the environment.
How Aloe Vera Fights Dandruff
Aloe vera has unique properties that help treat dandruff. The gel in the aloe vera’s leaves contains some bioactive compounds, including antioxidants and amino acids. According to research, aloe vera improves moisture retention on the scalp and promotes healing on already inflamed skin. It also has enzymes that reduce inflammation and antioxidants properties that keep cells healthy. This reduces itchiness and discomfort associated with dandruff. You can use aloe vera directly from the plant or in various products sold in local stores and online shops.
How to apply aloe for dandruff
It is easy to apply aloe vera because you can use the gel directly from the spiky leaves. If you have the plant in our home, just pluck one leaf and use the fresh gel. You can also buy one from your local grocery store. Here is how to use it:
- Get a sharp knife to cut a leaf from the plant.
- Hold your leaf upright and ensure the cut part faces down. This is to allow the yellowish gel to drip into a jar. This is not what you use to treat dandruff, but it has other uses.
- Cut the leaf’s top layer to access the gel underneath.
- Trim the edges and use a spoon or knife to scrape the gel off
You can also cut the leaf into smaller parts before you trim the outer leaves. The best thing is that there is no defined way to do this. Choose the method that suits you best.
After harvesting the gel, keep it in a sealed container and preserve it in your refrigerator. It lasts up to 7 days. The best time to apply the aloe vera gel is either before or after washing your hair. Follow these steps:
- Apply the gel on the scalp gently and make sure it goes underneath the hair.
- Leave the gel and allow it to penetrate the skin for up to one hour.
- Repeat the process two or three times within a week.
After using aloe vera several times, a filmy accumulation may occur. This shouldn’t worry you because it will not damage the hair. Besides, some people use this gel as a hair conditioner after shampooing.
Aloe Vera for Hair Growth and Dandruff
Aloe vera has various components that ensure hair growth and eliminate dandruff. It hydrates and soothes the scalp while rejuvenating the hair by increasing elasticity, which prevents hair breakage. Applying aloe vera is beneficial to the hair and, in addition to helping with dandruff removal, enhances the growth of the hair.
How Does Aloe Vera Enhance Hair Growth?
Using aloe vera boosts hair growth. It revives dormant follicles leading to quicker hair regrowth of your hair. The enzymes and vitamins stimulate growth. Sometimes you can combine aloe vera gel with other natural ingredients to promote hair growth. They include a combination of:
- Aloe Vera Gel and Castor Oil
This is a combination that will give you long and thick hair. Both castor oil and aloe gel treat dandruff and keep your hair follicles healthy. They also moisturize the scalp, which promotes hair growth.
- Aloe Vera Gel, Egg and Olive Oil Mask
The egg yolk has proteins and fats that condition the hair. When you add olive oil and aloe gel, you create a strong hair tonic that will enrich the hair with various nutrients. This combination is also good for the scalp as it locks in moisture and nutrients needed for hair growth.
- Aloe Vera Gel and Fenugreek
Also referred to as methi, Fenugreek seeds contain some hormone antecedents, which enhance hair growth and revive hair follicles. This stops hair loss and encourages new hair growth. When combined with aloe gel, they provide richer nourishment to the scalp and the hair for rapid and better hair growth.
- Aloe Vera Gel and Lemon
Lemon is acidic, and when applied directly to the skin, it can irritate. This may cause redness and inflammation. But when mixed with aloe gel, the acidity is balanced and makes it an ideal treatment for dandruff.
- Aloe Vera gel, Curd and Olive Oil
If you are looking for a great way to soothe the scalp, use a combination of aloe gel, curd, and olive oil. They all have moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties. This means they will control the secretion of sebum and oils on the scalp while fighting fungal growth. The olive oil in the mixture provides vitamins A and E that strengthen hair strands while stimulating the follicles.
- Aloe Vera Gel and Coconut Oil
Mixing the aloe gel with coconut oil creates an easy way to treat dandruff. The two ingredients eliminate flakiness and itching. They also moisturize the scalp and keep it shiny. Coconut oil promotes hair growth with its anti-microbial properties that fight yeast cells on the scalp. Besides, also gel is a cleansing agent that coats the hair and protects it from harsh environmental elements.
Can I Use Aloe Vera Gel On My Hair Every Day?
When using aloe vera to enhance your hair’s health, you should apply it once or twice a week. However, to treat dandruff, you can use it up to three times. Otherwise, you can just stick to your daily routine depending on how often you wash it. You can use aloe gel as a mask or aloe shampoo. Choose what suits you best.
Does Aloe Vera Help Remove Dandruff?
Yes, aloe vera helps to remove dandruff. It is a known effective treatment for various skin conditions, including seborrheic dermatitis. This is the condition leading to dandruff and a flaky scalp. It moisturizes the scalp and reduces flakiness and itchiness on the scalp.
Side Effects of Aloe Vera on Hair
Aloe vera comes with many benefits, but that doesn’t mean it’s all perfect without any side effects. The gel is loaded with many nutrients for the hair and the scalp. Like everything else, overusing it can be bad. Sometimes your scalp or hair cannot get any more of the aloe vera, while some people are allergic to latex found in the aloe vera plant. Here are some more side effects that may occur after using aloe vera:
- The aloe vera leaves have latex, which is under the plant’s skin. Those who are allergic to latex may experience skin irritation. Applying it on the scalp is relatively safe unless you are allergic to latex.
- Aloe vera can cause skin allergic reactions leading to eyes redness, skin rash, and burning sensations.
If you want to use aloe gel for the first time, start with a patch test. You can apply it to your wrist or elbow. If you feel itchiness or swelling occurs, do not use aloe for dandruff treatment.
Is aloe vera for a specific type of hair?
Aloe can be used on the type of hair. It is not suited specifically for any hair type. But it is highly recommended by professionals for:
- Oily hair
- Damaged hair
- Dry and brittle hair
- Natural hair
- Curly hair
The best way to know if aloe gel can work for your hair is to try it out. It forms a film on the hair, but you can wash the hair thoroughly to remove it. But it’s not harmful and will not hinder your hair from growing.
Aloe Vera Hair Mask for Dandruff and Hair Fall
You can use aloe vera gel alone to treat dandruff and prevent hair breakage. However, you can also mix it with other natural ingredients like castor oil and let it sit overnight. Here are some simple steps how you can apply aloe gel to your hair:
- Start by applying the gel to the scalp
- Leave on the scalp for between half an hour and one hour.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash it off and condition your hair afterward.
- Do this about three times per week. But if your dandruff is severe, follow instructions given by your dermatologist.
Aloe vera is one of many traditional medicinal plants. It has been in use for hundreds of years. Apart from healing the skin, it can also be ingested to help with other health issues. According to research, aloe vera can help relieve dandruff and eventually cure skin conditions. It is safe to use externally, and most people do not react to it. However, if you use it for several weeks without any improvements, you can talk to your doctor because this treatment may not work for everyone.